Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default It was fifty years ago today (well, yesterday)

On 22/02/2021 16:42, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/02/2021 11:31, jon wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 10:19:15 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

On 17 Feb 2021 at 10:11:52 GMT, nightjar wrote:

I never had a feel for Fahrenheit. It didn't really matter to me as a
kid what the outside temperature was beyond whether I needed to wrap up
warm or not. It was only when I started science at school that exact
temperatures mattered and we used the cgs system for that.

It depends where you are. When I moved to Geneva I got a feel for temps
in C. Then I moved to the US and (re)gained a feel for temps in F. Now
I'm back here and it's a feel in C again.

Someone says a number, for a temp, using the units you're used to, and
you know how warm/cold that is, without having to think about it.

Degrees K are the most sensible, keeps people alert.

No "Degrees" of K, just K

yerrbut that was a change introduced in the late 60s; all right for you
youngsters but you can't expect wrinklies who grew up with degrees K to
keep up

On a more serious note I have since switching from CGS to SI for A level
deprecated the lack of clues in SI units to the type of quantity or to
dimensions.

--
Robin