Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Television Production

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
For the rotating heads to hit a join, (or even crease) in the tape,
(considering the angular etc forces involved) was a huge mechanical
shock, that would shorten their lives.

Another reason the practice of physical VT editing in the 60s and 70s
was used 'sparingly' by the TV broadcasters

Perhaps the main reason was the cost of the tape, then scrap if cut. In
the early days of TV things were only archived if thought of later use.
Nobody guessed there'd be so many channels that would show near anything.

Thames TV used to keep everything. Someone there had an eye on the future.
But even there we used to re-cycle 2" audio tapes used for dubbing and
music recording (after careful thought) Even some 1/4" too.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.