Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On 21 Feb 2021 22:40:00 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 19 Feb 2021 at 12:59:55 GMT, T i m wrote:

Except reactors 'built to generate electricity' *have* gone wrong or
been broken and have spewed very long living pollution across the
world.

A certain amount of radioactive material has been spread, and that only by one
reactor.

I might only need 'one'.

If it has a short half life, then it's already gone, years ago,
decayed to safer stuff. If it has a long half life, it's not that dangerous
anyway.

I believe they were (are) testing welsh lamb for 30 years after
Chernobyl and still often rejecting those grazing on the higher levels
for being over the acceptable levels for radioactivity. How much
further away and how much longer lasting does it have to be before you
might start to consider the risk being greater than alternatives that
do spread the consequences anything like as far and as so long?

And we *are* phasing out many other polluting energy generation forms
for that exact reason.

Potassium-40, for example, causes 4300 radioactive decays in your body
every second.

Interesting (?)

You overlook that there is significant radioactive material all around us,

I do(?) ... and you know that how?

even more so in places like Dartmoor.

And how many people live on Dartmoor?

You also overlook that life has been
dealing with radiation since the beginning of life on Earth,

Again, I have have I?

and has developed
mechanisms to mitigate the effects of it.

Until the levels are greater than those typical 'background' levels
and then we die or are made very ill by it?

Why do we sign a disclaimer when having any 'radioactive' form of
medical process and have to read the section about 'increased risk'
(when having a medical procedure that is trying to make us *better*)?

Oh, and I know about the risk assessment of those two scenarios,
before you think your Goblin brain is superior to mine again. ;-)

For the hard of thinking ... (so yes, that's you), I haven't said I
don't want nukes, all I have said is when / if they go wrong they can
make a big mess that can quickly span the world and last a long long
time. So it doesn't matter how good ours are when we *can* still be
impacted by one 'going wrong' (for whatever reason) 2000 miles away.

Cheers, T i m