Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do bandsaw blades break?

On 2021-02-08, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message ...

Or maybe DeWalt's small bandsaw (DCS371) is a crap tool.
Maybe they are in disfavor with the Chinese Communist Party and their tool
quality is going downhill as a result of that.
Or maybe I got a lemon.

In any case, it sucks.
No twisting. Cutting a straight line. DeWalt blade (shipped and sold by
Amazon) still cracked after minimal use.

Maybe *you* are not twisting the blade, but the design causes
the blade to be twisted (about 45 degrees -- I don't have one here to
measure) as it spools off one wheel, is twisted by the guides to orient
the blade vertical to the workpiece, and then untwisting it just before
it spools onto the second wheel. The disance between the wheels and the
blade guides is pretty small on that little bandsaw, so it likely
stresses the steel more than the larger one. (Try measuring the
distance from exiting the wheel until it enters the guide. I'll bet
that it is significantly smaller on the smaller saw -- thus more flexing
of the blade back and forth. The import horizontal/vertical 4x6" saws
are bigger, and with the adjustable blade guides, are usually a greater
distance from the wheel.

Hopefully my bigger DeWalt portable bandsaw (DCS374B) works better.

I would expect it -- just because it does not twist the blade in
as short a distance from wheel to guide.

But it has apparent signs of being at least partly designed in China
(besides
being manufactured there). Will be wary if I purchase anymore of theirs.

Isn't everything manufactured there these days?

They have also developed that stupid practice of practically welding their
drill chucks to the spindle.

Reversible spindle? If so, it should have a left-hand screw in
the center of the chuck and threaded into the spindle. *NOTE* -- I said
left-hand screw. This is so the chuck does not unscrew from the spindle
when running in reverse.

Perhaps the saw needs a trigger actuator headspace adjustment.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail