George

Default Bouncing boys-Stiffen/silence upper floor?

"Mitch Skool" wrote in message
om...
Hi Folks,

I'm the proud dad of 11-year-old twin boys. Unfortunately, their
bedroom is right above the dining room and when they jump from their
bunks the whole ceiling shakes and booms.

Seriously, how about correcting the behavior just like my parents did and I
did with my children. If you are proud of them teach them to be civilized.
Tell your children that you don't want them to do that. The same applies to
the "boombox days", "children, boomboxes are rude and annoying and we will
not have them in this house and it is just as inconsiderate and rude if you
use them elsewhere...".

As part of a renovation project I will have the DR ceiling open and
will have access to the joists. What could I do to stiffen the floor
above and silence some of the noise? (I'm thinking ahead to the
boombox days coming soon, too.)

The DR is 12x16 with 2x10 joists running the long way, 16" o.c. Would
adding more blocking or sistering the joists with 2x?s work, and which
would be better? What about insulation? I'd like to do this as cheaply
as possible (of course!)

Thx,
Mitch