Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Turning on the ceiling fan started tripping the breaker

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 21 Feb 2021 10:06:42 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 2/21/2021 4:46 AM, Ken wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/20/2021 1:30 PM, King Zacs wrote:
My fan is tripping electricity. The wall switch is working fine cos I
removed then fan and the switch is working fine. Could it be the fan
motor and if so can I repair it or should dispose the fan

Since we have no idea of your mechanical abilities we don't know if
you can fix it. Could be a motor with a short.* Good chance you won't
find a part or you have to take it to a motor shop.

Probably just as easy and cheap to get a new fan.

He might also consider what else is on the circuit.* It could be the fan
is OK but exceeding the amperage of the breaker when turned on. Removing
the fan motor and attaching it to a different circuit would be one way
to evaluate the fan motor.

Or, it could be a bad breaker.

Breakers are cheap but if he doesn't want to buy one for no good reason,
he could swap with another circuit. He might even have a circuit that
not used and he could swipe it from there and not replace it until he
knows if the first one is bad or not. Twice as much work, twice as
much chance of electrocuting himself ;-) but less money.

Hint: turn off the power to the whole house and use a flashlight to
replace the breaker. (Or would wearing good rubber gloves work?)