CBHVAC

Default Furnace efficiency

"Halvey" wrote in message
Hi. Getting bids for a new gas furnace in the house (don't need AC).
We got a couple bids, and they all gave them for the 80% efficient
furnaces, not the 90%+ efficient ones. They said that we wouldn't
recoup the cost of the more efficient one through utility savings over
the lifetime of the unit, and that the 80% efficient one has very few
moving parts, and thus has less need for repair and maintenance, whereas
the high efficiency ones (some claim 97%) are far more complicated, and
thus more susceptible to breakages/misalignments/etc. Furnace brands
were Bryant and Trane.

Can anybody speak to any of these issues, or share about their decision
in a similar situation? Also, the local gas company offers a $200
rebate and a $350 tax credit to get a 90% efficient unit.

Thanks,

I no longer even install 80% units. The 90%+ are much more reliable than the
units of only 4 years ago, and installed correctly, they will last as long
as any.
If the installing company isnt wanting to sell you one, that means they are
not familiar with them, and dont realize that they are doing you no favors
with the 80%.

If you dont need AC, you must be in a more northern clime, where you WILL be
using your furnace more. The 90% unit can indeed pay for itself...