Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On 20/02/2021 10:44, Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 Feb 2021 at 09:05:39 GMT, Spike wrote:

On 17/02/2021 23:36, T i m wrote:

'Of course' we would all hope that a mini-nuke-plant designed and
built in the UK by RR would be pretty indestructible, but the problem
is, if it isn't, the consequences are going to be suffered for many
many years to come.

I'm not saying that because I'm against NP, because I'm not, I was
just saying most people wouldn't want one in their back yard and you
don't need a complete meltdown (or it to 'Blow up' as such), for it to
be a massive problem.

Your knowledge of nuclear physics is matched by your knowledge of veganism.

He is still not getting it, I observe. I await with interest his reasons as to
why such an SMR might "blow-up" or otherwise be a danger.

He is also still wittering on about 'consequences...for many years to come'

That is also ignorance.
The only consequences are man made ones borne out of politics and panic,
Meltdown in a secondarily contained PWR that properly vents hydrogen
that may or may not be produced is a non-event environmentally.

you end up with a concrete structure that contains a wrecked reactor.
leave it 20-30 years and its just a safe lump of concrete that contains
a wrecked reactor

As I pointed out, Chernobyl reactors adjacent to the one that caught
fire carried on for many years afterwards, it cannot have been that
radioactive even there, and there have been no marked issues in the
exclusion zone. None of the people who decided to stay had any gross
effects on their health noted

As with any art student, his response - as with his veganism - is based
on emotions that he considers represent a valid interpretation of reality.

In short he is *scared* of nuclear power, and is attempting to
rationalise that fear into what he can then propose as a rational
response, rather than looking into why he is afraid in the first place.

As with most people who have been duped by emotional narratives in the
media and elsewhere, he is in complete denial of the fact that this has
actually taken place.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly