Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 19/02/2021 15:04, Tim Streater wrote:
On 19 Feb 2021 at 12:59:55 GMT, T i m wrote:

On 17 Feb 2021 16:40:11 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

Well the concern would be that a reactor would explode releasing a
large
amount a radioactive material into the atmosphere.

You mean, just like that and for no apparent reason?

This is the funny thing about left brainers, they can't ever have
'what if' in their thinking.

This is like me saying, I'm going to walk down the road, and you saying,
What
if your legs fall off. Well, legs don't fall off *for* *no* *reason*.
Just as
reactors don't explode *for* *no* *reason*.

Put forward a *reason* why a reactor might explode or yer legs might fall
off,
and no doubt someone will comment.

FACT: no reactor has ever exploded *for* *no* *reason*. Actually, some
here
have said that no reactor has ever exploded. I wouldn't perhaps go quite
that
far in regard to Chernobyl, even if it was a steam and not a nuclear
explosion. Large amounts of energy were released in a small amount of
time,
and the effect that has is a good definition of an explosion.

I entirely agree; the Chernobyl reactor was a steam explosion and there
was no true meltdown into the ground below. One design flaw to have was no
containment vessel. I haven't read any articles to suggest whether a
containment vessel would have saved the day.

The two disasters, namely Chernobyl and Fukushima were two disasters
waiting to happen. The lessons are don't operate a reactor with known
design flaws and don't build a reactor by the ocean with a history of
tsunamis.

You can still do that, just use a reactor design that can be shut
down and be entirely passively cooled. Its high enough so that
the tsunami cant wash it away.

It's a shame that the 15,899 deaths, 6,157 injured, and 2,529 people
missing in the tsunami are forgotten. It is simply ridiculous to place a
reactor by the ocean with a design to cope with a once in a 100 year
tsunami.

As someone who has worked in safety critical designs there is a mature
philosophy of the design process and testing. It is heavily based on what
if scenarios and points of failure. It is clear that some here have made
up their minds and make muddled attempts to put forward incoherent
arguments.

It is showing who are the ones who can think straight and logically and
the usual suspect who can't.