Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharing well and pump--how much should we charge?

On 2/19/2021 10:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 9:54:30 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/19/2021 9:15 AM, jessica69872006 wrote:
Did you ever find out what to do ? I am having the same issue . We rent
and the water pump is in our yard. But the landlord said that will
paying for the neighbors down below us also.

The only satisfactory answer is to never share a well. Either spit cost
equally or put meters and split proportionally.

Not really practical. There are many duplexes and similar, houses with two different
tenants. Two meters would require two pumps and two separate water systems.
Many, probably most of these were never built with that in mind. Even two pumps
isn't possible, if it's a submersible, which is the most common type today. As I
see it, it's a $2 a month issue. But if this renter plans on going to the other
tenant to ask them to pay, I can see $2000 problems before it's over.

Can be done with one pump and pressure tank. In an older house it may
be harder to split the systems but from scratch it is just a tee fitting
and meters. In reality, the cost of the meters is probably 10 years of
pump electricity.