Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On 17 Feb 2021 16:40:11 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

Well the concern would be that a reactor would explode releasing a large
amount a radioactive material into the atmosphere.

You mean, just like that and for no apparent reason?

This is the funny thing about left brainers, they can't ever have
'what if' in their thinking. If it's never happened or has happened
and killed a bunch of people, as long as it's not them personally (I'm
not even sure if it would extend to their closest family?), everything
is ok (with / by them). ;-(

Reactors are made to
generate electricity, and as such are built completely differently to atomic
bombs, which *are* intended to explode.

Except reactors 'built to generate electricity' *have* gone wrong or
been broken and have spewed very long living pollution across the
world.

snip

Relying on humans (human error) or automation (black Friday) to have
total control of something very dangerous is a bad thing, and why I'm
guessing it takes two keys and the presence of some important people
to launch a nuke (not that Trump being involved makes that any less
safe for the rest of us).

Cheers, T i m