Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Solar lights

"fred" wrote in message
On Friday, February 19, 2021 at 10:02:58 AM UTC, undefined wrote:
JohnP used his keyboard to write :
SWMBO want a string of solar lights in the garden.

Don't expect them to operate for long, after dark in the summer and
probably not at all in a UK winter.

I'm surprised at how small the capacity of the rechargeable batteries that
are used in most solar lights. Part of the reason that they don't last very
long even in summer is that a lot of solar power goes to waste because the
batteries cannot accept any more charge.

Having said that, our lights do last a lot less time in winter, so the
amount of daylight is also an issue. I'd have thought that modern solar
cells would be able to produce usable power even on an overcast winter's
day.