Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On 19/02/2021 08:26, alan_m wrote:
On 17/02/2021 13:29, Pancho wrote:

FOAD I'm 100% in favour of nuclear power, I just think that safety
concerns should be considered and addressed sensibly.

The problems at Chernobyl and Fukushima were caused by unforgivable
design flaws.

But presumably approved by the expert independent regularity authorities
responsible for safety.

Yep, that was before they moved on to giving the thumbs up to: tower
block cladding, financial derivative markets based on mortgage backed
securities, etc.

I'm sure we can get the same guys back for new designs. We understand
these things so much better now, No more boom and bust, and what not.

But seriously, nuclear has been pretty safe so far, and, in general,
engineering experience tends to make things safer.

Unfortunately for nuclear, engineering experience is best learnt by
small mistakes, competition, evolution. The scale of huge nuclear
projects means that politics and dogma can be more important than actual
track record. With small reactors we may see competition drive the
market forward.