Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter W. Peter W. is offline

Default Gas heat thermostat if no power

We have a small 30A @ 240 VAC emergency generator. When it is in use, we run it to a 30A double-pole breaker in the panel, shutting off the main breaker at the same time. That will cover the freezer, refrigerator, boiler a few lights and other miscellaneous items as needed, without having to wire or unwire anything. The feed from the generator is 6/3 SJO cord, and the unit itself is grounded to a properly installed 8' ground rod. The three times we have had to use it for more than a couple of hours, it has worked nicely.. Usually, we run a single-ended extension cord to our neighbors for their refrigerator as well.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA