Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Silent pull cord switch?

On 18 Feb 2021 11:25:04 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
My BIL had an occupancy sensor in the wet room they built when the MIL
became less mobile and lived with them and I was always envious /
fascinated with how 'efficient it was.However, I think if you sat on
the loo it would switch off so I'm going to try putting a PIR in ours
to see how 'good' it could be (see if it maintains the 'occupied'
status when I'm in there reading). ;-)

You just need to add a weight sensor to the seat ('strain gauge')...

Hehe.

Actually, I had considered the use of strain gauges for use under the
doorstep as a proximity detector (and I've already made some scales
with the beam type gauge), similar to my mates solution where the step
'rocks' slightly so he can hear someone stepping on it though the
house. ;-)

Joking aside, having to turn the lights on / off as you use any place
temporary soon becomes a right PITA, something that goes though my
mind as I enter any room now that isn't 'automated'. I walk into a
room and pause, wondering why the light hasn't already come on and
then have to do it manually. How very last centaury! ;-)

One thing I'm trying to help a mate with is a remote sensor that
replicates his electric meter LED flashes and transmits them inside
his flat. He had one of the battery powered clamp-on gadgets but it
failed but the transmitter part used to run for a very long time on
batteries. I have an ESP32 node that uses WiFi to send pulse counts to
Home Assistant but I can fit a power socket near the meter, he can't,
and they aren't suitable for battery power.

So something that detects the optical pulses and relays them (legally)
via RF and then he could use several solutions from there .

Back to the toilet light ... once everything is 'smart' it's so easy
to make things do things with other things.

I wonder if you could set up a trigger that turned on the downstairs
toilet light as a result of passing by the hall then kitchen PIR's
quickly. ;-)

Cheers, T i m