Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What adhesive for mounting a large map?

On 18/02/2021 12:37, Andrew wrote:
On 17/02/2021 13:37, wrote:
I've been tasked with mounting a paper map (1000x1410mm) on a backer
(probably ply or MDF), then to add some sort of surround to prettify
it and then to hang it on a wall. Getting a large sheet of paper
stuck-down wrinkle-free and in the right place needs a bit of planning
so what adhesives and techniques do the team suggest?

Blue Tack. Don't bother with a backing.

Blue tack oils come through after less than a year.
My wall planner uses that method and shows it.

I prefer to use a dry mount photo adhesive when mounting stuff on
display boards since it avoids problems with wet strength and stretch
marks. Handling large sheets and prints is hard enough already.

Inkjet prints certainly won't tollerate water based adhesives.
(although they don't last more than a couple of years without fading
unless under glass or an anti-UV spray lacquer top coat applied)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown