Doug Kanter

Default Bouncing boys-Stiffen/silence upper floor?

Addressing only the noise, I recall reading a magazine article about
soundproofing some years back. If my memory is accurate, a builder was
attaching drywall to the studs using some sort of clips. The clips didn't
actually attach the drywall, but isolated it somewhat from the studs. Sorry
if this is vague, but I think I'm on the right track. You might want to
consult some library books. It can't be that tricky.

As far as the bouncing, be glad they are normal kids who can walk and crash
into things. Grab the Jack Daniel's every so often. It makes the noises of
kids much funnier. When the noise stops, that's when you start worrying.

"Mitch Skool" wrote in message
om...
Hi Folks,

I'm the proud dad of 11-year-old twin boys. Unfortunately, their
bedroom is right above the dining room and when they jump from their
bunks the whole ceiling shakes and booms.

As part of a renovation project I will have the DR ceiling open and
will have access to the joists. What could I do to stiffen the floor
above and silence some of the noise? (I'm thinking ahead to the
boombox days coming soon, too.)

The DR is 12x16 with 2x10 joists running the long way, 16" o.c. Would
adding more blocking or sistering the joists with 2x?s work, and which
would be better? What about insulation? I'd like to do this as cheaply
as possible (of course!)

Thx,
Mitch