Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Silent pull cord switch?

"RJH" wrote in message
Been on my list for a while - a quiet replacement for the noisy bathroom
pull
cord switch. If it came to it I could look into the kinetic/wireless type
switches, although that'd be quite expensive and relatively involved. Or a
PIR. But really a quiet pull cord would do. Any suggestions?

I've never understood why a lot of the modern pull switches for bathrooms
make an *exceptionally* loud "clock-clonk" noise every time they are turned
on or off. When we had some building work done and a new bathroom made, the
electrician replaced an old and rather battered (but fairly quiet) pull
switch with one with a power-assisted clonk. I know some of the noise is
exacerbated by the switch being on a wooden batten in the ceiling rather
than attached to a masonry or plasterboard wall. But a lot of it can be
heard even with a "loose" switch before it's been mounted anywhere.

Is the noise "accidental" or is there some new building regulation that new
switches must make a noise to prevent them being turned on/off
surreptitiously?

It's the same with computer keyboards and mice. I have a new "silent"
keyboard, but there's a loud drumming as the keys hit what I presume is a
rubber noise-deadening pad, and the buttons on the mouse still make an
audible click - not as bad as many, but still very irritating.