Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default thinning two part epoxy?

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 21:48:31 -0800, croy
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:06:15 -0500, JB Haskins wrote:

I have a small project that needs epoxy to bond one section.
Unfortunately, the area where the epoxy needs applies is narrow. The
last time I tried it, I attempted using a cut off syringe, like
diabetics use, except the needle was cut off and the cylinder cut away
until is was maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thick. Unfortunately, I was not able to
draw any of the mixed "5 minute" two part epoxy into the syringe as it
was too thick.

The epoxy I'm using is just the small, twin cylinder type that premixes
in either a small tray as part of the package or in something else. I'm
just wondering what I can do to lessen the viscosity without
compromising strength or other properties when dried. I was just
thinking of putting the package under a heat lamp set at like 110 F for
a couple of hours. Thoughts and experiences welcome and thanks in
advance.

I bought some epoxy that was specially for adhering rear-view mirrors to windshields of cars,
and it turned out to be very thin.

Never had any luck with the epoxy for that. Thick cyanoacrilate with
primer has worked for me.