Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Gremlin Gremlin is offline

Default OT: The world's simplest electric train

Paul Tue, 16 Feb
2021 09:22:24 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

Gremlin wrote:
"Commander Kinsey"
news alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

https://youtu.be/J9b0J29OzAU

That's cool. Thanks for the share. I'd be interested to know if you can
explain how you think it works, without cheating, that is.

Pretty simple really. You look it up.

I already know how it works, that's why I asked the question mr smartass.

If it worked as stated, based on your experience
with copper conductors and electricity -- it should
throw sparks as the ends of the purported
projectile circulates. Yet we don't see any
sparks. Why is that ? A coil section that small,
there's going to be 500mA to an ampere of current
in the coil. There should be decent sparks.

There's no real load to speak of, and 1.5 volts isn't much.

You aren't going to get an amp of current out of the 1.5volt power source.
You could possibly acquire 500-750ma for a period of time though, but the
battery would quickly deplete if such a load was placed on it for any real
length of time. 1.5 volts doesn't go far on it's own, and there's no jewel
thief circuitry here to boost it up.

You aren't going to get sparks and arcs if theres no load and you have ****
for voltage to start with.

When I was a kid, my uncle made me an electric
motor. Pieces of Iron wire in a bundle, was used for
cores. Enameled copper wire for the windings. The design
style is an "open frame", in other words, the worlds
most inefficient electric motor. It's a wonder these
rotate at all, but they do. (You sometimes have to
give them a flick with your finger, to get them running.)
More compact motors work much better, ones where the
magnetic pole pieces are continuously presented to one another.
There is "too much air" in these motors.

That's quite a bit different than what we've observed in the video. That
home made motor actually puts a load on it's power source, AND, you have
reverse emf to deal with each time it cycles on/off, too; which contributes
to the sparks you see. Also, if you had the brushes a little closer and
spent a little more time with the windings, you wouldn't have to give it a
flick to get it started. The flicking you have to perform on occasion is
due to poor design implementation, not the motor itself.

And the noteworthy part of the little motor,
was the sparks it would throw as the armature made
contact with the bared copper wires touching it. We
didn't use plates or springs or carbon brushes.
Just bared copper wire. You got a nice stream of
blue sparks as it rotated. And a bit of a sound effect.

But of course, you were seeing the results of reverse polarity voltage
spike, due to the induction principle. And you have a lot more built up in
those coils on that motor, with higher voltage to start than the video
demonstration.

Yet none of that is visible in the video, and
you have to wonder whether there is just a magnet
under the table and an accomplice.

It could very well be, but for me, the lack of sparks don't indicate fake
video off the bat; only because of the very low voltage and current being
used.

If they wanted to impress us, their "table" should
have been a perspex sheet.

I don't disagree.

*******

When the copper coil has the ends touched together,
the battery and magnets continue past that section.
That can only happen, if the copper makes *excellent*
contact, between the two ends of the coil. Normally,
you would need to solder a copper coil ends like that
together, so the projectile would go round and round.
Yet, the demonstrator has no trouble at all, getting
his protege to jump the gap. He is able to hold
the ends of the copper wires together well enough,
so it can handle a relatively high current.

Without getting hot enough to burn him, yep. There's not much current there
to begin with, and the voltage level is so low to start, whatever reverse
kickback he's getting isn't enough to make lovely sparks. He's also not
putting much of a load on it, which doesn't help with making sparks.

I would also like to know how they adjusted the
colour in the video, to suppress blue sparks. Was the
camera fitted with a filter, or were the sparks
removed in post ?

I'm not convinced they are suppressing them. I don't believe there's enough
energy from the start to acquire them, atleast not large enough to stick
out.

--
Stand on the toilet, get high on pot.