Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob D[_2_] Bob D[_2_] is offline

Default Wixey laser crosshair for drill press

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 7:59:21 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 16:18:54 -0800 (PST), Bob D
wrote:

Has anyone used a Wixey laser cross hair adaptor for a drill press? I can buy one at Rockler for $37.50 or buy a new powermatic drill press for $1500 or do nothing.

Getting these things aligned is _really_ difficult on a drill press
with it built in. I can imagine it's an order of magnitude more
difficult, if even possible, as an add-on. It's not like an SCMS
where the blade can be used as a reference. The laser has to come
from outside the center of the drill but each has to be aligned on two
axis to the lines track the table.

I have lasers built into my DP and they are one RPITA to get aligned
properly. Even then, they're really only useful for finding marks.
I'd never use the lasers alone. They're not nearly as useful as the
lasers on an SMCS.

For $37.50? Maybe, but don't expect too much.

Thanks for that feedback! I had a gut feel that it was more hype than useful. Since I use setup blocks to position my DP fence, it would drive me crazy to use something that is fiddly and less accurate.