Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 12:59:38 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

snip

So a plant blows up and a local shop that used to supply food to the
workers goes out of business and the owner also loses his
accommodation and eventually dies whilst homeless.

I would really like some real fact and figures and include the deaths
and damage caused by the use of fossil fuels, palm oil etc etc versus
the deaths and damaged caused by the use of nuclear power.

Oh indeed, it's just that whilst there is no doubt all these things
have and are killing (around the world), they aren't something we have
instant control over (but are working on), unlike deciding to build a
nuke etc.

Now, it's 'quite likely' that ignoring a major disaster, the vast
majority of nukes have been running much cleaner (as in their
generation of power), especially when compared with anything that
burns fossil fuels, it's just *if* they were to go wrong big-time the
consequences can contaminate a large are for a long long time with
very little that can be done about it, especially short term.

There is also the 'decommissioning cost / risk and the ongoing waste
disposal.

That is what I'd consider to be the bigger picture.

Agreed, along with the likes of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...aste-to-planet

Cheers, T i m