nosredna

Default Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty

A friend installed some pressure-treated wood steps on my porch last
fall. He told me to let them go through a season first, then paint them
in the spring, as follows:
_prime
_ then putty (with Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty)
_ then paint (oil-based)
I wrote down his instructions, but forgot about the note when I painted
them. I used a wood filler that I happened to have on hand for some
little cracks, then primed, then painted with good quality oil-based
porch paint. The steps look okay (but a bit rustic!), but now I'm
wondering what my friend meant by "then putty" (he's not around to ask).
Was I supposed to merely fill in cracks, holes, etc. or was I supposed
to do more extensive puttying? The reason I ask is that, when it rains,
the water pools quite a bit on the steps. Was I supposed to trowel on
the Rock Hard Water Putty like plaster, so rain will flow off more
easily or what?