Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default What adhesive for mounting a large map?

On 17/02/2021 18:13, williamwright wrote:
On 17/02/2021 13:37, wrote:
I've been tasked with mounting a paper map (1000x1410mm) on a backer
(probably ply or MDF), then to add some sort of surround to prettify
it and then to hang it on a wall. Getting a large sheet of paper
stuck-down wrinkle-free and in the right place needs a bit of planning
so what adhesives and techniques do the team suggest?

I've done three maps on walls. They were 1:50,000 OS and stretched from
Hull to Liverpool. Advice:
Cut the maps into manageable pieces.
Apply the wallpaper paste to the map sections and leave it for a while
until it's soaked in. This lets the paper stretch which is what you want.
If the paper dries out a bit add a little bit more glue -- but sparingly.
Mark a grid on the wall, faintly.
Plan it so that the maps over-run the planned edges, then trim or fit a
border.
Start in the middle.
Accept that the maps might stretch unevenly and go slightly diamond
shaped, by about 0.5%.
After the maps have dried thoroughly, paint with matt clear varnish.

Bill

The plan was to mount it on a board (or in a frame) that would then be
hung, rather than pasting it directly on the wall - but I suppose that
might be an answer