Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What adhesive for mounting a large map?

On 17/02/2021 15:17, wrote:
On 17/02/2021 15:12, newshound wrote:
On 17/02/2021 13:37,
wrote:
I've been tasked with mounting a paper map (1000x1410mm) on a backer
(probably ply or MDF), then to add some sort of surround to prettify
it and then to hang it on a wall. Getting a large sheet of paper
stuck-down wrinkle-free and in the right place needs a bit of
planning so what adhesives and techniques do the team suggest?

Last time I did that I used wallpaper paste. Making sure of course
that I let it soak in, and taking care not to stretch it. Have you
checked though whether you can get a suitable "sandwich" type with
polycarbonate, hardboard, and a few clips.

I'd ruled-out wallpaper paste because of the stretch risk, and also
because I don't know how well it would adhere to MR MDF. What did you
use as a backing?

MDF. It works

try it out on something other than your map

Does it matter if it shrinks 1%?

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!