Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default It was fifty years ago today (well, yesterday)

On 17/02/2021 11:26, NY wrote:
"nightjar" wrote in message

I never had a feel for Fahrenheit. It didn't really matter to me as a
kid what the outside temperature was beyond whether I needed to wrap
up warm or not. It was only when I started science at school that
exact temperatures mattered and we used the cgs system for that.

Fahrenheit has to be the most hare-brained temperature scale ever
devised - apart from the one which used an inverse scale so a higher
temperature was a lower number. It seems very obvious that you devise a
temperature scale that is based on (and is easily compared with) the
properties of the most abundant liquid on Earth: water.

Neither are particularly sensible, as that the freezing and particularly
boiling points of water can vary considerably with variations in
pressure. Yes, I know that they are defined at Standard Pressure, but
that means that you also need an accurate means of establishing the
pressure.