Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default It was fifty years ago today (well, yesterday)

In article , Tim Streater
wrote:
On 17 Feb 2021 at 11:25:53 GMT, jon wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 09:38:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/02/2021 17:31, S wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 16:54:41 +0000, nightjar wrote:

On 16/02/2021 13:18, jon wrote: ...
Yes I remember this was a pre-cursor to joining the Common
Market, ...

I don't. I recall it being sold as being easier to teach to
children. Apparently learning base 10 was easier than learning
multiple base systems.

Which also sounds like a crock. Were British schoolchildren
peculiarly disadvantaged by having to learn Lsd - especially on top
of imperial ?

What is imperial?

pounds, shillings, and pence, inches, feet, yards, poles, chains,
furlongs and miles, fluid ounces, pints, quarts and gallons , Ounces,
pounds, stones, hundredweights and tons. Fahrenheit temperatures. And
fractions not decimals

As opposed to this revolutionary French metric ****

The americans ''got to the moon'' using imperial linear measurements,
but they had trouble with volume tho'..7 UK pints to an american
gallon.

It's their cheese-paring short-measure pint: 16 Fl Oz instead of 20.

But it means a pint weighs a pound - which is vaguely logical

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England