Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default It was fifty years ago today (well, yesterday)

On 17/02/2021 11:25, jon wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 09:38:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 16/02/2021 17:31, S wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 16:54:41 +0000, nightjar wrote:

On 16/02/2021 13:18, jon wrote:
Yes I remember this was a pre-cursor to joining the Common Market,

I don't. I recall it being sold as being easier to teach to children.
Apparently learning base 10 was easier than learning multiple base
systems.

Which also sounds like a crock. Were British schoolchildren
peculiarly disadvantaged by having to learn Lsd - especially on top of
imperial ?

What is imperial?

pounds, shillings, and pence,
inches, feet, yards, poles, chains, furlongs and miles,
fluid ounces, pints, quarts and gallons ,
Ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights and tons. Fahrenheit
temperatures.
And fractions not decimals

As opposed to this revolutionary French metric ****

The americans ''got to the moon'' using imperial linear measurements, but
they had trouble with volume tho'..7 UK pints to an american gallon.

which aircraft crashed because they needed X kg of fuel and put in X lbs
instead?

Like with all things its not what the standard is, its that there is a
standard and everyone uses it.

Diversity simply doesn't cut it

kind word alone.

Al Capone