Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Rolls Royce on track to deliver SMR

On 17/02/2021 10:12, Tim Streater wrote:
On 17 Feb 2021 at 10:00:14 GMT, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 17/02/2021 08:51, Tim Streater wrote:
On 17 Feb 2021 at 06:59:25 GMT, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I think it was in fact quite a lot less globally than Chernobyl was
locally. Again, nothing much happened post Chernobyl immediate effects
from Iodine 131 - the raised caesium and strontium levels don't seem to
have been enough to cause anything much.

By a couple of years after Chernobyl, any I-131 it released would all have
decayed. Every single atom.

Oh yes. I know that. That's why apart from a week after a reactor pops
its significant, the stuff people are more worried about is strontium 90
and caesium 137 (half lives 29 and 30 years) because they are active
enough to be of possible concern and yet long lived enough to be around
for a decade or more and both are biologically active.

both are beta decay
I think both end up in bones and teeth. Hence there were scare stories
about leukemia...

Calcium analogues.

Exactly so

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!