Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default It was fifty years ago today (well, yesterday)

On 2021-02-16, Steve Walker wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 16:54:41 +0000, nightjar wrote:

On 16/02/2021 13:18, jon wrote:
Yes I remember this was a pre-cursor to joining the Common Market, ...

I don't. I recall it being sold as being easier to teach to children.
Apparently learning base 10 was easier than learning multiple base
systems.

Which also sounds like a crock. Were British schoolchildren peculiarly
disadvantaged by having to learn Lsd - especially on top of imperial ?

Decimal works well with metric and metric is generally easier for
scientific and engineering calculations. So it probably makes sense to
decimalise money as well, so everything can be calculated using the
same, simple system.

However, while metric is good for such calculation, imperial has much
more everyday usable sized units and divides nicely in a variety of
different ways.

I just use both interchangeably, depending upon which suits better for
the circumstances.

Something that is only available to those of use who grew up with the
old systems. I had to teach imperial measure and fractions to my
apprentices as much of the stuff we made had been designed in Britain in
the 1950s or before.

ditto - but I've completely lost any appreciation of degrees F - just
doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I don't like admitting this, but I
actually had to lookup what the boiling poinbt of water was in F !

I never had a feel for Fahrenheit. It didn't really matter to me as a
kid what the outside temperature was beyond whether I needed to wrap up
warm or not. It was only when I started science at school that exact
temperatures mattered and we used the cgs system for that.

--
Colin Bignell