Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Amazon.

First, I'm not a fan. Generally check Ebay long before them.
And I've just been proved right.

Got some software which recommended hardware to go with it. And a link for
it to Amazon UK.

Ordered it up.

Then it hit me it was coming from the US - my mistake for not realising
this.

Online shopping is not for everyone. Dark patterns are everywhere.

So many people have been hoodwinked into signing for Amazon Prime. In my
experience, they tend to be those that are not fully able to understand
the website placed before them, and deselect options when presented.

And then apart from scams, problems with payment, misleading offers,
subscriptions, bidding wars and return policies, ye have a problem.

That little effort to finalise an order or bid is often a few mouse
clicks, and there is no pop-up dialog saying "are you absolutely sure
you want to buy this toaster?"

I bet there is a pile of things in the corner of things purchased, but
never used, in many households due to "accidents".

The environmental impact of a delivery then a return is stupid. When the
item is received back, some perfectly good items go in the trash, as the
cost of testing, refurbishing and restocking them is too high.

That is the last time I'll use Amazon for anything.

I do like this quote from 'war games'

"The only way to win is not to play"

--
Adrian C