Greg W

Default Smallest water softeners?

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:33:00 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Can you now just buy a Kinetico over the counter, or do you have to
ask some otherwise unemployed scrote to come over and case the joint
for a "survey" and then sell you one with a 400% mark up and "free"
fitting?

I've just answered my own question. However, it still costs over a grand.
The same website offers a Autotrol based on a "255 valve" apparently. This
is a single cylinder metered with 2am regeneration.

It uses approximately 2.5kg of salt per regeneration to produce 2,500 litres
(14 litres resin). Is this reasonable economy? Are the figures believable? I
suppose the salt consumption would be slightly higher as it has to
regenerate before the cylinder expires. I guess this cylinder will last
about a week.

At half the price of the Kinetico, I'm tempted. However, do you think it
will pass 40lpm without dropping excessive pressure, like the Kinetico
claims to? I'm totally on mains pressure, not a tank in the place (except
the heat bank).

Strangely, they also offer a Crown softener, which offers the "unique"
features of non-electrical metering and twin resin cylinders. Yeaaaahhhsss
(think Paxman). It takes block salt, so is automatically disqualified from
my list.

Christian.

Thanks to both for your input so far. Care to share what website
you're talking about?
Cheers

Greg