Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Hot water tank replacement

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 9:32:11 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/14/2021 8:51 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
On Sunday, February 7, 2021 at 9:47:07 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/7/2021 7:43 AM, trader_4 wrote:

A good fit for a tankless might be a vacation rental property where renters
expect hot water when they get there and where if it's a beach house, etc
there could be a lot of people showering, doing wash, etc in short periods.

That is where my friend has one in Ocean City. In summer, weekends may
be 5 adults and 3 kids.

In a word? Lazy. She should just take her lazy rear out of bed four or five minutes early and run the hot water spigot some more.

Huh? What would that do? The hot water comes on quickly for a shower
and takes just a short time at the sink. Produces enough that I can
shower all day if I wanted to. Getting out of bed earlier would make no
difference. Flip the faucet on when you pee and it will be hot when
needed.

One solution would be to install a recirculating pump that is activated by
a motion sensor. The only downside to that is that it then fills the cold water
pipe on the entire run up with tepid hot water. So if a kitchen sink is
involved or you want to pull a glass of water from some other sink to drink,
instead of fresh cool water you may get either tepid or hot water that has
cooled and isn't the best tasting. I thought about it at times, but not that
big of a deal that it was worth doing.