Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Rebuilding a chimney with no experience

In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 13/02/2021 09:28, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
And at the moment in the windy season, a cherry picker is not a good idea.

If building a chimney a cherry picker is the last thing you want. You
need somewhere close by the top if the chimney to store a ton of bricks!
The platform of a cherry picker is not that place.

30+ years I had my chimney, above roof level, rebuilt with new brick
because the 70 year old chimney has a one inch crack. The discarded
material filled a large skip. Two large chimney pots were removed - they
were F***** heavy. They were replaced by ventilated caps.

The job was completed in a day by two skilled brickies and a labourer
from scaffolding erected previously.

I once did a single flue for a mate many years ago he had a decent
scaffold in place and did the bit of labouring needed it was around
three bricks a side square and around six feet or so, its upright and
works OK and is still standing but I've done a bit of brickwork before
NOT something I'd like to try as a beginner!

--
Tony Sayer