Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Antifreeze.

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
The pretty safe antifreeze once called 'for ally engines' is getting quite
difficult to find at a decent price. Halfords used to sell it in a
concentrate, but now only ready for use. At about the same price for 5
litres as the concentrate.

I now buy from Eurocarparts on the basis that their stuff conforms to
various manufacturer's specs, and is of the concentrated form.

Yes - I ended up buying the older stuff safe for my engine there. Got 25
litres at a very good price which should see me out. ;-) Dislike ECP
pricing, though. Different price if just going to the shop, ordering via
their website, and Ebay. Before you even talk about discount codes. Ebay
usually the best one.

Modern cars have moved from silicates to OATs. My simple understanding
is silicates are only recommended for systems with lead in it's plumbing.

I was told OATs attack more than just the solder in a copper rad.

I still believe you get less corrosion, not more, using a stipulated
antifreeze.

Absolutely. My ally engined car stipulated to use it all year round. But
change it every two years. OATs in a modern engine seem to have a longer
service life.

I changed the water pump recently, and the inside of the water jacket thus
exposed looked like brand new. At near 40 years old.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.