Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Missing e-mails

Fred wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 12 Feb 2021 at 18:47:59 GMT, "Fred" wrote:

On 12/02/2021 11:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:29:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 12/02/2021 08:50, Tim Lamb wrote:
[quoted text muted]
A brief education on email transport.

Start with it being inherently unreliable

Actually it isn't.

Its the anti-spam that has made it so

gmail's anti spam is surprisingly reliable.

Never had it claim any email was spam when it wasn't

I prefer making the deicsion on my own machine, not having someone else
deciding for me what is and what is not spam.

I find it more convenient to have the system
do it when its as reliable as the gmail one is.

I have unfiltered mail delivered to me from my hosting service, I
simply reject anything not specifically to me (I do include stuff that
*might* be for me by allowing To: cgreen, To: cris, etc.) and then I
just filter it myself, by looking at it.

I do get some junk but probably only 10% of the fairly large amount of
mail I handle so it's just not an issue. An efficient, text mode,
mail program helps, huge complicated graphical mails don't waste time
getting displayed, if I open it I see the text content but that's all.
I can decide to see the pictures if I want but that's pretty rare
unless a friend has actually sent me some pictures. All I have to do
to get rid of an unwanted mail is hit 'd' and it's gone, so deleting
junk is pretty instantaneous.

--
Chris Green
ยท