Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Three phase wiring

On 12/02/2021 21:12, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 12 Feb 2021 at 17:10:41 GMT, "Tricky Dicky" wrote:

On Friday, 12 February 2021 at 15:08:22 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 09/02/2021 13:24, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 8 Feb 2021 at 17:38:55 GMT, "ARW" wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
That's simply because 3+e is made for two-way lighting

Then it makes no sense to use three phase wiring colours.

Well you cannot just use 3 browns can you?

Triple and earth for two way switch circuits had two reds and a black.
Shows you how old my drum of it is.

Never seen that. I have seen triple red and earth.

And a black core would suggest the intention was to use a neutral?

Could it be intended for looping in a succession light fittings with
switched
live from a smaller number of switches being connected between them?

No idea.
I'm not sure either. To follow the convention of the day, if using for
switching two lights, it would be one red and two blacks. I bought it from
a local place that was big on Exchange and Mart. Makes perhaps some sense
for a room thermostat. But only some.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Dave Plowman London SW

I suppose all three cores in a triple and earth should have been all red in
the past and all brown currently since at some point in two way lighting they
are all live/line with the common always live.

Richard

Nuisance to wire if you have to use some kind of circuit tracing device to
know which is the common wire at the other end, though.

Now it's a while since I last stripped out a conduit install using the
old cotton insulated cables. But yes they did use blacks and reds for
two way switching - presumably to identify the perm live and switched
live. But this was in singles and not 3 core and earth.

With 3 red/brown core and earth you can identify the cores by the layout
with respect to the earth (and no I am not going to call it a cpc). ie
red1 earth red2 red3 is the same at both ends.

Just to note that when using singles the wiring for 2 way switching was
different to todays standard setup.

--
Adam