Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Transparent Wood

On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 4:57:10 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 10:47:23 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 4:37:27 AM UTC-5, G Ross wrote:
Like "Will it scale?"=20
=20
I'm sure that a 1 mm thick window has some purpose, but not in a high r=
ise.=20
=20

You could layer it, like transparent plywood.=20
=20

The layers of plywood are glued together, alternating the grain
direction.

Can you glue up layers of transparent wood and maintain the=20
transparency?

Did you read how transparent wood is created? Glue is a major
component.

What was actually written was this:

"...they infused the wood with a tough transparent epoxy".

Infusing wood with epoxy to fill the pores is very different than using epoxy (or any
other glue) to bond the resulting surfaces together.

Standard practice for bonding 2 smooth surfaces with epoxy is to scuff up the surface
to give it some bite. Probably not a good idea when trying to keep something transparent.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that it's a detail that would be good to know.
Just because glue was used (infused) to create the product doesn't mean it'll work for
bonding it while maintaining the transparency.

Or you could just infuse the epoxy into a stack of bleached wood which laminates
it as it's being infused under pressure.

A definite maybe...