Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Missing e-mails

Yes seen that one as well nearly always makes me chuckle when I see messages
like that. The other give away email is.
Your email of xxxx was deleted without being read by address on xxx
Not a good look for a customer services department of a council I'd say.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:55:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:18:06 GMT, Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:07:18 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 11/02/2021 10:34, Tim Streater wrote:
[quoted text muted]

When the recipient opens the mail it tries to send a message back to
that effect (no guarantee they have read it though - only opened it
and allowed the message receipt email to escape). I block them.

You have a receive receipt and a "read" receipt as extensions to the
RFC.

Exchange handles them internally (last time I set a server up, by
default) , so many organisations emails are sent out with the request.

However it's only an option in mail transport, and a lot of servers
that handle the mail on the way strip them out making them unreliable -
like email itself.

If you try to recall an internal email in Exchange/Outlook, it uses
that mechanism to report success or failure. If a recipient has a
preview pane in their Outlook (like what I did) then recall requests
fail. In my time I have seen a few emails that the sender desperately
tried to recall.

Ah, well I know nothing of Windows email. In any case, it sounds like a
false promise to me.

"Windows" email (i.e via exchange) is a superset of regular email. Works
lovely inside an organisation, but leads to some rather unrealistic
expectations from people with no exposure to the real world. Quite a few
people love to post about "recalling" emails sent to external email
recipients as if it's a given.