Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Boiler Noise

On 11/02/2021 15:50, RJH wrote:
After 3 component failures in the past few months (heat engine, water pressure
sensor, pressure gauge), it's looking like my Ideal Logic + is on to its 4th.

On starting heat or water and for about 5 minutes, the boiler makes a loud
resonating sound, a bit like a bearing on its very last throes. It's difficult
to tell where it's coming from with the cover on, centre up. I don't think
it's the fan - the noise stops once the boiler stops firing. Once it settles
down after 5 minutes or so the noise more or less goes, maybe fades in/out for
a few seconds every so often. Recording clips at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2u?usp=sharing

(After 5 minutes - noise more or less gone, normal sound)
(First 5 minutes - new noise, boiler from cold, stops after about 5 minutes)

Internet searches tend to suggest gas valve, although this sound can't be
heard outside, and the reports I've read suggest it doesn't stop after a few
minutes. Replacement looks relatively straightforward - 5 minute job. Any
comments please?

If it's yours, and you consider yourself competent, removing the cover
should help you track-down the source. If you're asking out of interest
and will get someone else to fix it then an image search for "ideal
logic boiler parts diagram" should give you an idea of the probable cause.