Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

On 11/02/2021 16:43, Tim+ wrote:
David wrote:
Further to the tinkering with my log burner I think that although it will
burn the big bits that I have, it may need more small bits to get going
and up to temperature quickly.

If youre needing kindling it may well be that your logs are too moist.

You need a couple of pieces to catch quickly and relatively small long
triangular pieces in the initial burn. Sometimes I relight off the
embers at this time of year. Mostly I use long dead branches for this.

I never need kindling but do use a couple of those wood fibre wax
impregnated fire lighters. (Like these.
https://www.sherwoodsfirewood.co.uk/...-firelighters/)

I can't imagine ever buying anything as kindling (apart from newspaper).
The closest I come is air dried citrus fruit peel which does go very
well indeed and is plentiful in mid winter from tangerines.

I turn the bottom & top draft on and within minutes my fire is blazing
away. Once established I turn off the bottom draft.

The only time mine ever gives trouble is when I forget to open the
overnight damper and try to light it with almost no air flow.

My log store (builder's bag) is under cover on hard standing and I no
longer have a section of trunk as a chopping base.

A builders bag isnt going to let air circulate around your logs and
having them sitting in the ground isnt a good idea either.

Mine sit outdoors on a palette to let air under them and a roof on top.
The ones immediately prior to burning live in the garage and they spend
a couple of days warming/drying in the hearth area before being burnt.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown