Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

David wrote:
Further to the tinkering with my log burner I think that although it will
burn the big bits that I have, it may need more small bits to get going
and up to temperature quickly.

If youre needing kindling it may well be that your logs are too moist.

I never need kindling but do use a couple of those wood fibre wax
impregnated fire lighters. (Like these.
https://www.sherwoodsfirewood.co.uk/...-firelighters/)

I turn the bottom & top draft on and within minutes my fire is blazing
away. Once established I turn off the bottom draft.

My log store (builder's bag) is under cover on hard standing and I no
longer have a section of trunk as a chopping base.

A builders bag isnt going to let air circulate around your logs and
having them sitting in the ground isnt a good idea either.

I see that you can buy a length of trunk for £20-£40 on line but I would
prefer something more discreet, ad I am likely to be splitting small
chunks into kindling using a hand axe and club hammer.
In the longer term I could possibly ask my wood supplier if they could
include a chopping block in the next load but that might be next Winter.

A solid block of rubber about 12" x 12" x 2" would seem to fit the
requirement for a solid base, edge protection for the axe, and easy
stowing when not in use.

My search skills, as usual, aren't getting me the results that I want.

Any suggestions and lateral thinking most welcome.

Buy yourself a chainsaw from Aldi/Lidl, ballistic trousers and other safety
gear from eBay (you can get a whole kit of Logger clobber in one go), and
with luck youll never need to buy wood again or wonder how to get hold of
a decent log section for chopping on. Dont forget to watch heaps of you
tube videos on chainsaw use. A proper chainsaw course would be best but
you can learn enough to stay safe from the videos as long as you dont get
overly ambitious. I only saw up wood thats been felled and abandoned or
washed up on the beach.

Of course this does depend on your available territory to go foraging.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls