Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Powering up: UK hills could be used as energy 'batteries'

On 11/02/2021 11:06, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 10:56:39 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

I often wonder how efficient you can make a circular transport like
that.
Like lifts in buildings that should need hardly any energy if the
lift+load is never much more than lift+counterweight ....

Well, the Falkirk Wheel boat lift is reputed to use no more than an
electric kettle (3kW say) to lift a load of 500 tonnes.

It's on a very long list of things to see before I die ...

Pretty certain I read that Tower Bridge was operated with a gallon of
water or something similar ...

No. IIRC it is a 100 ton weight sitting on a column of water. The water
is pumped in by electric pump (used to be steam) and left there until
needed.

When the bridge needs opening, the bridge is lifted by hydraulic motors,