Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Snow Chains or Socks

In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
On 10/02/2021 17:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think the authorities around here are pretty good and know the
problem roads and put down ash sand and salt straight away on those. Of
course some of the side roads are a bit less well served, but I think
you have every right to expect some clearance on well used roads. I do
not drive myself, but there has to be either better drivers or more
grippe tyres around as you tend to see some people just driving
smoothly and not having any issues, but those who seem to drive more
jerkily go all over the place. A friend who lives near a corner finds
it more entertaining than the TV sometimes when there is ice around.
One old dodge my father used to reckon worked was to just let a bit
of the air out of the tyres so they were softer. Brian

Around here there is a weak bridge where a road crosses the railway. It
is (almost) a hump-back bridge and has had a 7.5T weight limit slapped
on it, as the council and the railway can't decide who is responsible
for paying for repairs/upgrade.

round here, the county council was responsible for the abuttments, but the
bridge itself was railway propert.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England