Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Snow Chains or Socks

On 10/02/2021 17:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think the authorities around here are pretty good and know the problem
roads and put down ash sand and salt straight away on those. Of course some
of the side roads are a bit less well served, but I think you have every
right to expect some clearance on well used roads.
I do not drive myself, but there has to be either better drivers or more
grippe tyres around as you tend to see some people just driving smoothly and
not having any issues, but those who seem to drive more jerkily go all over
the place. A friend who lives near a corner finds it more entertaining than
the TV sometimes when there is ice around.
One old dodge my father used to reckon worked was to just let a bit of the
air out of the tyres so they were softer.
Brian

Around here there is a weak bridge where a road crosses the railway. It
is (almost) a hump-back bridge and has had a 7.5T weight limit slapped
on it, as the council and the railway can't decide who is responsible
for paying for repairs/upgrade.

To help enforce the weight limit, it has 6'6" width restrictions, with
no cut-throughs for wider vehicles, on both approaches.

The first winter after the width restrictions went in, car after car
came over the top and slithered slowly down the other side, off at the
bend and into a garden wall - as the gritters could no longer grit it
and the slopes were solid ice from side to side!

The council did learn and have hand-gritted it since then.