Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Snow Chains or Socks

I think the authorities around here are pretty good and know the problem
roads and put down ash sand and salt straight away on those. Of course some
of the side roads are a bit less well served, but I think you have every
right to expect some clearance on well used roads.
I do not drive myself, but there has to be either better drivers or more
grippe tyres around as you tend to see some people just driving smoothly and
not having any issues, but those who seem to drive more jerkily go all over
the place. A friend who lives near a corner finds it more entertaining than
the TV sometimes when there is ice around.
One old dodge my father used to reckon worked was to just let a bit of the
air out of the tyres so they were softer.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 09/02/2021 19:22, thescullster wrote:
thescullster Wrote in message:
Hi GuysI have had a difficult two days, largely trying to get home from
rather than to work.Our house is at the top of a hill and, although the
gradients to travel home are not excessive, my Focus has been seriously
struggling on the icy roads.I don't want to go to the expense of winter
wheels/tyres.So the questions are....How effective are snow socks on ice
(they seem to be marketed more for snow)Are snow chains difficult to fit
in this cold weather?Is it expected that you fit chains and leave them
on over an icy period, even if there are days when the roads are
clear?If on ice or a clear road surface, do the tyres wear much quicker
with chaos fitted?Any other comments on the use of these appreciated.I
don't expect that clearance above the wheel would be an issue for the
Focus, but don't know for sure.Thanks guysPhil-- ----Android NewsGroup
Reader----http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

That should read with chains fitted of course.

You probably don't want chains - they cannot be used at all on clear
roads.

Socks will wear out rapidly on clear road, but at least you don't need to
take them off for short sections.

If you are only really struggling on that one hill, there are some
temporary, spray on solutions to increase grip. I have no idea whether
they work or not, as have luckily never needed anything.