Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Modifying a Canon XL1 Video Camera

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:19:49 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

I have an XL1 video camera I purchased for a company project in 2000
and it was never used, in fact it is still in pristine condition,
having only a couple of hours use since new. It is not worth very much
now, but it is a super SD camera that uses MiniDVD tapes. I am thinking
about converting it to record on solid state media. This would require
removing the tape drive and replacing it with a mini recorder. At the
moment I am just thinking about the practicality of the modification.
The other anomaly is the useful digital output from the 'Firewire IEEE
1394' socket, there are very few adapters or connecting devices around
now for this obsolete format, although it was a premium digital
connection solution in it's day.

Has anybody any thoughts on such a project..?

Heroic. It will look impressive, but I doubt if it will match the
performance of an entry level domestic camera.

It was a good camera in its day, but only SD of course.....the film '28
Days Later' was filmed with XL1 cameras.