Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Snow Chains or Socks

On 2021-02-10, nightjar wrote:
On 10/02/2021 10:38, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 10:32:18 AM UTC, nightjar wrote:
On 09/02/2021 20:58, Michael Chare wrote:
... I
have driven rental cars with snow tyres to ski resorts and never had to
fit chains as the snowplough will have kept the road reasonably clear.
I have a set of winter wheels and tyres - necessary when driving to some
countries in the winter. They are specifically designed to collect snow
in the sipes. Apparently the best thing to grip to snow is more snow. As
you say, they do very well in snow, but I don't have much experience of
driving with them on significant ice.

Why not place a pile of gravel at a strategic location and carry a shovel ?

In France, I once used gravel to free a car I was a passenger in when it
got stuck in snow. The driver, who was a local estate agent and should
have been used to the weather, was amazed.

Wood Ash is also good - if you have a wood burner.