Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Three phase wiring

On 09/02/2021 17:54, ARW wrote:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
That's simply because 3+e is made for two-way lighting

Then it makes no sense to use three phase wiring colours.

Well you cannot just use 3 browns can you?

Triple and earth for two way switch circuits had two reds and a black.
Shows you how old my drum of it is.

I found some old red white and blue (with no earth) stranded 3 core a
few months ago.

The white changed to yellow in 1966 when I believe that the compulsory
earth was added.

From the thread I started a couple of years ago with the subject "Old
wiring":

"The old metal-cased picture light came off easily enough, to reveal a
connection to red and blue wiring (it was not earthed)! The cable was
plastered in, but digging some of the plaster out revealed white PVC
cable. A bit more digging, and a cut-off third conductor with very light
yellow (maybe off-white?) insulation appeared. Then a cut-off bare earth
wire. So it looks like someone used some spare 3-phase cable for this
lighting circuit. Sigh."

This place was built from 1965 to 1966, and /some/ of the lighting
wiring is earthed.

--

Jeff