Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter W. Peter W. is offline

Default Checking ignition in 1990 Honda Civic Si, 1.6 liter.

Mr. Easthope is insisting on an non-linear approach, sadly. Which will lead to needless frustration and many blind alleys.

Let's start over with what we know right now:

a) The fuel filter has been replaced.
b) The main relay does not affect the spark. But re-soldering it is not a bad thing.
c) Parsing what was written by Mr. Easthope +/-4:32 am on February 1, 2021, when cold the car presents a yellow (weak) spark, when hot, no spark at all.
d) No spark at all pretty much eliminates a fuel issue as the primary culprit - and given the new filter, even that is unlikely.
e) Leaving spark.

So, in a linear (logical) fashion what could cause a thermal fault that causes a weak , then no spark?
a) Coil - thermal faults are exceedingly common in coils. If the coil is OEM, that becomes the first suspect.
1. Coils are cheap. $15 or so from Amazon.
2. Coils are easy to install - perhaps 15 minutes on a bad day, with the correct tools and good light.
b) Ignition Control Module - not so cheap ($26 or so) and a little fussier to install.
c) Distributor Module - From as little as $90 to as much as $200 - and as you suggest, covers all the bases. Requires a certain amount of care to install. I am not sufficiently familiar with Hondas to know if timing is an issue with a new distributor, or if it is all via the Hall-sensor. There is a Hall Sensor, so I suspect the latter.

Best of luck, Peter! Looks like you are going to need it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA